Thursday, October 30, 2008

A Report By Jack Burden


My name is Jack Burden.
I am a reporter.
Information and dedication is the key to my success.
Anyone, anywhere, anytime.
Three stories are mine to tell,
My life, my world, my time.

Willie Stark is his name,
and boy, oh boy, is politics his game.
But as they say,
All good things must come to an end.
Some people have such a knack
For creating the best out of a bad situation
That they go around making bad situations
So that they can make the best of them.
Willie, oh, Willie,

Why'd you have to get involved?
Knowledge was your downfall,
And power was your tool.

Then there is the Scholarly Attorney.
His weakness disgusts me.
There was no way that he could have bourne me,
He was just too good.
To follow in his footsteps
Would be wasteful and useless.
Ellis, your holy ways consumed you,
after foulness had engulfed you.
Sweet and innocent,
Too innocent for my liking.

Next comes Judge Irwin,
A real swell guy he was.
Always there for me when I needed him,
Just like a father.
Not too corrupt, and not too shy,
The perfect balance amidst the chaos.
Friendly, yet serious;
Suttle, yet powerful.

Now it is I who must write my own story.
The Trinity put forth,
but who to follow?
Corruption, innocence, or somewhere in between?
That's enough for now,
I dug up too much already, and it's
Time to return to the present.
But don't worry, I'll be back.

1 comment:

APLITghosts said...

Hi Alexis, do you really love AP English or do you just say these things to make your teacher happy? I like the portrait you picked for the visual. It works. Have a bit more fun with the insights that the three various fathers impart to old Jack. Have more fun with the voice. It works as it is in terms of the trinity which is an interesting idea. I would like to see you explore that further. - elms